From the moment I found out that I was pregnant everything seemed to go pretty smoothly. Aside from having some spotting at 10 weeks, I made it to my due date without any real issues. When I reached 41 weeks my husband and I decided that we would go ahead and schedule an induction with our doctor. Although the chances were low, we were aware that going past 42 weeks can present greater health risks for you and your baby. The placenta may not work as well as before, the baby can show signs of fetal stress, and there is a higher chance of stillbirth (although not common). Even though these risks were low, I didn’t want to take any chances, so I decided at 41 weeks that it was go time.
We scheduled our induction for November 9, 2016, and were settled in a birthing room by 5pm. They started me on Pitocin right away, and I surprisingly felt pretty good. About an hour after I started the Pitocin drip, my doctor came in to break my water. Side note- I had no idea that you just continuously leak fluid once your water is broken. Actually, I think one of my least favorite parts of labor was having to sit in a puddle of my own amniotic fluid for 20 hours. Anyway, after my water was broken the labor pains intensified ten fold. My goal was to go as long as possible before getting an epidural, but I only made it an hour—a very long and painful hour! At around 9pm I got my epidural and was then able to sleep most of the night. The epidural worked wonders for masking the pain, but it did make me super itchy! When we arrived at the hospital I was 3cm dilated, 12 hours later I was only 6. Around 5am on the 10th my doctor started subtly dropping hints that if I didn’t progress we were going to have to start discussing a possible C-section. I knew that I had up to 24 hours to labor after my water was broken, so I told her that I wanted to wait as long as possible before having to make that decision.
Two hours later I started feeling a lot of pressure down there, so a nurse came in to check me. She said I was 9½ cm dilated but that Amelia was breech. The nurse seemed panicked, so I began to panic. The only thing I didn’t want to have happen was for me to have to get a C-section, and if Amelia was breech I knew that an emergency C-section was going to be my only option. The nurse then brought in a different doctor who confirmed that I was 9½ cm. This doctor had an ultrasound machine brought in to check if Amelia was indeed feet down, and to everyone’s surprise she was NOT breech! We were so excited and relieved. The doctor let me know that they would be back in about an hour to see if I was ready to start pushing, so we started calling and texting our families so they could start heading to the hospital. An hour later a midwife came to check and see if I was ready to start pushing and surprised us all by saying that I was only 6½ cm dilated. Um, what?! We were so confused and upset. We asked that a second doctor or nurse check me and they confirmed that I was indeed only about 6½ cm dilated. Our doula later told us that she believes that when they told me Amelia was breech and that I was going to have to have a C-section, that I got so scared my cervix shut down. Talk about an emotional roller coaster! Once we determined that I was only 6½ cm, I decided that I would go as long as I could before we considered a cesarean. Well, that only lasted a couple hours. The next time someone came in to check up on me, they found that I had developed a fever. At that point our team of midwives and doctors let us know that it was in my and the baby’s best interest to go ahead with a cesarean. Once we determined that I was having a C-section, everything went very quickly. A team came into my room and prepped me, and I was in the operating room within an hour. Before I knew it they started cutting me and within minutes we heard the sweetest sound we had ever heard.
Our daughter Amelia Ray was born on November 10, 2016 at 3:12pm.
As most of you momma's know, after you give birth you seem to be on an adrenaline/endorphin high. Even though I had just had a cesarian, I felt great! But, as soon as we got in the car to head home a couple days later the pain set in. I never imagined that the recovery for a C-section would be so intense. Walking around hunched over while wearing a mesh diaper was not my best look, but around 11 days postpartum I started to feel like my normal self.
I'm still unsure of whether or not I want to try and go for a VBAC the next time, but I would love to hear stories or tips from anyone who has had a VBAC, as well as from anyone who has had multiple cesarians.